Sourdough starters are becoming one of the latest trends for home cooks and bakers. Gone are the days when they want everything to be fast-paced. Now, they embrace the slower cooking process when it comes to making breat at home.
Some are afraid to try it, but that is where sourdough kits from You Knead Sourdough come in. But before buying one or giving it to someone as a present, here’s everything to know about sourdough starters.
All About a Sourdough Starter
Sourdough is also called ‘levain,’ a fermented dough created with natural and wild yeast and a bacteria called ‘lactobacilli.’ The yeast and bacteria will feed on the carbohydrates in flour once it’s hydrated, which will allow for it to ferment. Back in the day, leavening bread was one way to make bread. And now, this traditional process is coming back.
What’s In The Kit?
If you ever wished to someday fill your house with that delicious smell of fresh sourdough bread, then you should get one of the starter kits that you can buy online. Do not be wary because these starter kits are perfect for new and experienced home bakers. So what’s included in the kit from You Knead Sourdough?
- Bread Flour. This kit will have 2 kilograms of high protein bread flour. The wheat is from the South Australian farmers Flinders Ranges Premium Grain where it is grown and milled. The high protein content in flour will ensure that you create the freshest sourdough bread that is full of flavor with a chewy texture and a great crust.
- Sourdough Starter. This is a packet if dried sourdough starter flakes that you will need. This is what will make it a sourdough. It contains wild yeast that will produce bread giving it a distinct sourdough flavor. All you need is to follow the instructions to begin your sourdough starter.
- Oval Banneton with Cloth Liner. This is a 25cm long rattan banneton that will proof the sourdough.
- Danish Dough Whisk. A specially shaped whisk to help mix together the flour, sourdough starter, water, and salt.
- Bread Lame. A tool used to score or cut the dough before you place it in the oven. The score will help the bread expand.
- Dough or Bench Scraper. This is a scraper that will come in handy in getting all the dough off your bench.
If you are looking for a sourdough starter kit, then visit You Knead Sourdough online. You can buy one for yourself or as a gift for someone you know will love to give this a try. These sourdough starter kits are great both for new and experienced bakers. Soon, you will start baking your own delicious sourdough at home.